Oral health is often taken for granted though it touches every aspect of our lives. Our mouth is a window into the health of our body. Dental hygiene is the habit of keeping the mouth, teeth, and gums clean and healthy to prevent disease. Thus, your general dentist at San Ramon, CA 94583 believes that inculcating good oral habits helps you enjoy life. It lets you speak, taste, chew, and swallow delicious and nutritious foods, and show your feelings through facial expressions such as smiling.
- Daily Oral Hygiene:As part of your daily routine, brush and floss your teeth and scrape your tongue at least twice a day. While most people tend to brush as soon as they wake from sleep, it is also imperative to do so before going to bed. The food particles from between your teeth need to be removed before going to sleep. If you don’t brush in the night, it can lead to accumulating bacteria in your teeth, which eventually hardens into plaque. When this hardened plaque is not removed, it will ultimately eat into your teeth, causing cavities, gum disease, and decay.
- Brush Correctly: A good toothbrush is a must for removing the debris from your mouth. The brush should be held at a 45-degree angle to your gums and moved in small, circular motions on each tooth. The brushing duration should last at least two minutes. The entire surface of each tooth should be brushed along with the tongue to remove the bacteria. The inside of the front teeth should be cleaned using the tip of the brush.
- Floss and Rinse:A person should floss at least once a day, most preferably before bedtime. This will make sure to remove the food particles that have been collected between your teeth during the day. Floss that’s about 12 inches long is ideal for the purpose. Then, thread the floss using a sawing motion between teeth. Then curve the floss into a C-shape to remove food particles. If you experience difficulty in holding the floss, use a floss holder as it is quite helpful when flossing the back teeth. After brushing and flossing, you should also rinse your mouth. Rinsing helps in removing the stray particles that brushing and flossing may have extricated. For this purpose, you can use a store-bought mouthwash without alcohol.
- Use fluoride toothpaste:When it comes to toothpaste, more significant features should be considered other than whitening power and flavors. No matter which version you select, make sure it contains fluoride. This is because fluoride is a principal defense against tooth decay. It works by destroying germs that can lead to decay, as well as providing a protective shield for your teeth.
- Professional Cleaning:Besides maintaining proper oral hygiene practices at home, it is essential to visit your dentist at San Ramon, CA 94583 for biannual checkups and professional dental cleaning.
Call San Ramon Smiles at (925) 244-9770 or schedule an online appointment to know more about the maintenance of Oral Hygiene and consult the best General Dentist, San Ramon, CA 94583.