Are you worried about getting tooth decay but confused about the following procedures? It is always better to take good care of your teeth. But cavities are not as uncommon as you think it is. The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research has rightly pointed out that more than 90% of adults have cavities. Don’t worry! We have the right solution for you : metal-free fillings.
In the past, before metal-free fillings were developed, amalgam was used to fill cavities. This alloy of silver and mercury is strong and durable, but at the same time, it poses several problems. These metal fillings can be harmful to your teeth and health. They spoil the aesthetics of a smile, and they are also vulnerable to temperature changes causing bacterial infections and eventual tooth decay.
What Are the Materials Used for Metal-Free Fillings?
The metal-free fillings are available in two types of materials.
Resin Composite:The composite fillings comprise a healthy combination of plastics and glass, which resembles a natural tooth. The composite fillings, developed as an alternative to amalgam, are the favored choice of filling for those worried about the appearance of their teeth and their oral health.
Ceramic Porcelain: Ceramic is another choice for fillings, and it is famous for its strength. It is a costlier material, but its strength makes it the perfect choice to get lasting solutions.
What Are the Advantages of Metal-Free Fillings?
- Looks Natural:The silver fillings can easily be evident even when used for the back teeth. On the other hand, the composite fillings look completely natural because they are chosen to match the shades of your tooth.
- Improved Tooth Bond:Unlike metal amalgam fillings, the composite or tooth-colored fillings are planned to bind directly to your tooth. A better bond means the composite seals out bacteria, reducing your risk of recurrent tooth decay.
- Reduced Tooth Sensitivity:Metal is conductive, and therefore, likely to cause tooth sensitivity when the temperature changes in the mouth. The composite fillings are less likely to cause tooth sensitivity because they expand and contract at a similar rate as natural dental enamel.
- Risk-free:Composite or metal-free fillings do not contain any mercury, and hence it is entirely safe for the patients. With composite fillings, you don’t need to have concerns about any harm occurring to anyone’s health or the environment.
- Biocompatible Materials: Some people may be sensitive toward certain metals and may experience adverse immune effects due to having metal fillings in their mouth. Amalgam fillings are pretty risky for children as well as pregnant women. As composite fillings are biocompatible, they aren’t supposed to cause any allergic reactions or immune responses. They are safe for patients of all ages.
So why should you wait if Dr. Guri S. Dhaliwal can provide you personalized dental care? Call Guri S. Dhaliwal D.M.D, Cosmetic, Family, and Implant Dentistry at (925) 244-9770 or schedule an online appointment to know more about Metal-Free Fillings. Consult the best General Dentist, San Ramon, CA 94583.